Mitsubishi News & Notes June 2019
Reveal of the 2020 Outlander Sport
Earlier this year, the redesigned 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport and Engelberg Tourer concept were unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show. Both vehicles point to the brand's future and highlight the new design language that will be seen in all upcoming Mitsubishi vehicles.
On April 30th, Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) revealed the 2020 Outlander Sport to media for the first time in the United States. The event took place at the Mitsubishi Research and Development (MRDA) facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where the team handles vehicle and powertrain testing, emissions testing and certification, competitive benchmarking and more.
The newly redesigned 2020 Outlander Sport is a tangible first example of Mitsubishi's new bold and dynamic design, offering a vision of the all-new Alliance-partnership vehicles on the horizon.
Please see here for a selection of video and still images from the U.S. debut of the 2020 Outlander Sport.
Mitsubishi Goes "Small Batch"
Kimberley Gardiner, who just joined MMNA in January as vice president and chief marketing officer, has already initiated a new direction for the brand. The new vision is known as "Small Batch," a term that speaks to carefully crafted products, thoughtfully curated collections and a proudly independent mindset.
Drawing inspiration from modern, tech-savvy direct-to-consumer brands, as well as an attitude expressed by Mitsubishi owners, "Small Batch" is intended to reach far beyond advertising alone, influencing every aspect of Mitsubishi's business in the United States. This outside-the-auto-industry thinking earned Gardiner an invitation to the Cannes Lions "Festival of Creativity" week in Cannes, France, June 17-21, where she spoke on numerous panels.
"Small Batch" debuted in the form of social media video content in late April and is rolling out across multiple channels with a heavy focus on digital distribution.
To read the full "Small Batch" press release, click here.
To view all of the "Small Batch" assets click here.
Dealer Network Expansion
As the fastest-growing Asian brand in the U.S. for the second consecutive year1, MMNA added 21 new dealer partners to the network in 2018 and has already added 20 more so far in 2019. As the brand works to expand its presence and increase awareness, the focus remains on strong, incremental growth. Given that all dealers are independent business people, they obviously feel that an investment in Mitsubishi today is a strong bet on the future.
Mitsubishi is currently selling in 61% of U.S. markets and working to expand to 90% representation. See below for some of the latest additions to the MMNA dealer network.
- Lawrence Mitsubishi
- North End Mitsubishi
- Roger Kehdi Mitsubishi
- Auto Gallery Mitsubishi – Murrieta
- Ancira Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi Named OEM of the Year for Road Assist+ App
MMNA was named "Telematics OEM of the Year" at TU-Automotive Detroit, the world's largest automotive technology conference and exhibition. The honor was bestowed upon Mitsubishi in recognition of the manufacturer's innovative Road Assist+ smartphone application.
The award recognizes forward-thinking original equipment manufacturers (OEM) that are developing cutting-edge technologies and innovations in the connected-vehicle space, and is among the most prestigious and anticipated awards in the connected car industry.
To read the full press release, please click here.
MMNA Receives 2018 Summit Emerging Media Award
MMNA National Sales Training Manager Kiri Kiley was recognized last month with an Emerging Media Award for B2B Interactive Media by the Summit International Awards. She was recognized for her role in developing the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Virtual Reality Dealer Training Tool, a smartphone-based interactive virtual reality (VR) training course that provides an innovative way to educate Mitsubishi salespeople about changes to the latest Eclipse Cross models without a vehicle being physically present.
The Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Virtual Reality Dealer Training Tool headset allows MMNA salespeople to see pre-recorded video and images of the Mitsubishi vehicle, which showcases vehicle highlights, key features, and option packages of a particular model line. This provides dealer sales teams an immersive experience with vehicles, prior to the physical availability of new models.
The new training tool is already proving to be popular among dealer partners, and is part of a larger focus by MMNA to enhance the sales and service experience at Mitsubishi dealerships nationwide.
To view the full press release, please click here.
In Case You Missed It:
- 2018 was a banner year for MMNA with calendar year sales of 118,074 vehicles, up 13.9 percent, the brand's best annual sales since 20072. Among others, Mitsubishi outsold Volvo3, Land Rover4 and Mini5 in the U.S.
- The innovative and capable Outlander PHEV is the world's best-selling plug-in hybrid.6
- In the recent 2019 J.D. Power CSI study, Mitsubishi ranked third among all non-premium brands and was the highest-ranked Asian brand in the mass-market/non-premium segment.
1. Based on Motor Intelligence CY2017 and CY2018 Sales by Manufacturer data. Excludes premium brands.
2. Based on CY 2018 sales reported by automaker: https://media.mitsubishicars.com/channels/Sales/releases/mitsubishi-motors-reports-best-annual-sales-since-2007-best-december-since-2006
3. Based on CY 2018 sales reported by automaker: https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/corporate/sales-volumes?year=2018&month=12
4. Based on CY 2018 sales reported by automaker: https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/en-us/news/2019/01/jaguar-land-rover-sets-new-us-full-year-sales-record-122626-sales-2018-seven-percent
5. Based on CY 2018 sales reported by automaker: http://miniusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=1139&mid=239
6. Based on IHS Markit New Registrations of plug in hybrid and all SUV body styles for Jan 2013 - Sept 2018 compiled from governments & other sources (where available). Captures 95% of global new vehicle volumes in more than 80 countries.
# # #